[Kdenlive-devel] % lost in keyframeable effects

jb jb at kdenlive.org
Thu Jul 2 18:45:33 UTC 2009

On Thursday 02 July 2009 18:50:39 Dan Dennedy wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 4:21 AM, Marco<g.marco at freenet.de> wrote:
> > Easy to see in the vignette effect f.e. (default center is 50%x50% with
> > width 50%)
>
> MLT does accept percentages for spatial parameters - such as
> everywhere you get the rectangle widget. We'll have to see what JBM
> says. I am sure he knows this, but decided not to for a reason - maybe
> as simple as control and certainty. Certainly, if you enable a Distort
> option, maybe you do not want the width and height to be percentage,
> but Distort is generally not a good option to use. I encourage you or
> others to experiment with changing this parameter and widget type to
> use % and see how well it works.

The reason why I decided not to use percentages is that the percentages are not very handy in some cases.
For example let's say you have a very large image, for example 3000x576 pixels and want to scroll it.

If you use percentages, setting size to 100%x100% will scale the image to your video profile. If you want the image to keep it's real size, you must calculate the percentage that 3000 is related to 768, and the percentage being not very precise the chances that your image will be slightly resized are big.

That's why I decided to use absolute pixel numbers so that you can precisely enter dimensions... I do however understand that having percentages can be nicer and currently the geometry parameter for the vignette effect does not seem usable...

regards
jb