[Kdenlive-devel] % lost in keyframeable effects

Marco g.marco at freenet.de
Fri Jul 3 09:17:28 UTC 2009

> On Thursday 02 July 2009 18:50:39 Dan Dennedy wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 4:21 AM, Marco<g.marco at freenet.de> wrote:
>> > Easy to see in the vignette effect f.e. (default center is 50%x50%
>> with
>> > width 50%)
>>
>> MLT does accept percentages for spatial parameters - such as
>> everywhere you get the rectangle widget. We'll have to see what JBM
>> says. I am sure he knows this, but decided not to for a reason - maybe
>> as simple as control and certainty. Certainly, if you enable a Distort
>> option, maybe you do not want the width and height to be percentage,
>> but Distort is generally not a good option to use. I encourage you or
>> others to experiment with changing this parameter and widget type to
>> use % and see how well it works.
>
> The reason why I decided not to use percentages is that the percentages
> are not very handy in some cases.
> For example let's say you have a very large image, for example 3000x576
> pixels and want to scroll it.
>
> If you use percentages, setting size to 100%x100% will scale the image to
> your video profile. If you want the image to keep it's real size, you must
> calculate the percentage that 3000 is related to 768, and the percentage
> being not very precise the chances that your image will be slightly
> resized are big.
>
> That's why I decided to use absolute pixel numbers so that you can
> precisely enter dimensions... I do however understand that having
> percentages can be nicer and currently the geometry parameter for the
> vignette effect does not seem usable...
>
> regards
> jb
after some look into vignette and mlt_geometry i saw, mlt_geometry can
handle float values. vignette not at all  (this can be changed).

the geometry-type plugin is not the best solution for this filter. because
it is a keyframeable filter, we could use the new keyframe settings dialog
for more-value parameters, if this is a good idea ?
So we could handle change of resolution of project video size, without
changing anything.

regards marco