[Kdenlive-devel] Unnecessary translations

Alberto Villa villa.alberto at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 21:58:56 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Simon Eugster <simon.eu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Example:
> http://www.ownlinux.cn/2008/11/13/kdenlive-07-for-kde-4/
> Same here:
> http://download.dqt.com.cn/sort/60_1.htm
> Also WinXP and so on isn't translated.
> But I cannot say more, only noticed that program names didn't use to
> be translated.

you're probably right. anyway, i've read the introduction to kde
translator's documentation. looking at your recent commits, i've
noticed this:
- "A related mistake is not including markup tags in rich text, such
use such markup in an identical fashion to English and so it is
necessary for the translator to be able to "translate" the markup
accordingly as well."
i think you should revert your changes

also, replying to your question about unnecessary translations, have a
look at this:
- "Another thing to be aware of is to not concatenate pieces of
sentences together."
so it's probably better to keep them in i18n() (also if they're single
words - ex. recordMyDesktop -, i would say)

i do agree with you, but it looks like this is really the best way to
operate with qt translations
reference: http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Localization/i18n_Mistakes

now, since you're digging into translatable strings all around the
program, and it seems your quite a precise person, would you like to
change some i18n() in i18nc() (context translatable strings) and
(maybe) i18np() (support for plural - i can't think of an example
where it should be useful, but probably there is)? i'd like to do this
on my own (sometimes it's impossible to translate an "up" without a
context), but:
1. i don't have a computer right now
2. when (if) i have it back, i'd like to take care of bugs and nepomuk
integration
reference: http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Localization/i18n

regards
--