[Kdenlive-devel] ffmpeg dependencies. Was: Re: kdenlive0.7.1

Mads Bondo Dydensborg mads at dydensborg.dk
Fri Jan 2 22:29:10 UTC 2009

fredag 02 Januar 2009 skrev Dan Dennedy:
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Wayne <shakacat at ukulele.com> wrote:
> > Happy New Year!
> >
> > I'm hoping to try out Kdenlive0.7.1 but I'm having
> > problems installing it. I saw it on rpmfind and
> > downloaded the both 0.7.1 and mlt0.3.4. However, when I
> > try to run kdenlive, I get this error message:
> > "Fatal Error
> > MLT's avformat (FFMPEG) module not found. Please check
> > your FFMPEG and MLT install. Kdenlive will not work
> > unless this is fixed."
>
> Devs, was this added recently?

Changing an answer although I am not really sure I qualify as a dev: My best
bet is that this is from the wizard (svn blame):

 2428      j-b-m     if (!result.contains("- avformat"))
errorMessage.append(i18n("MLT's avformat (FFMPEG) module not found. Please
check your FFMPEG and MLT install. Kdenlive will not work until this issue is
fixed.") + "\n");

so, svn rev 2428... looking in the log:

r2418 | j-b-m | 2008-09-30 22:15:48 +0200 (tir, 30 sep 2008) | 1 line

Fix detection of MLT's avformat module

> That should not be a required module!

On irc the other day, there was some talk from the-me (Patrick Matthäi -
apparently a debian package maintainer) about getting a --enable-gpl
equivalent option to kdenlive, to allow it to compile without modules that
conflict with the patent/whatever issues that disallow some distributions to
distribute non-crippled versions of ffmpeg (sorry for the running sentence).

His issue was to get rid of the export profiles that does not work on these
distros. He promised to file an issue, but I am not sure he got around to it.

Perhaps we could think these issues together: the "lack" of avformat or a
crippled avformat, and the render profiles that are available in kdenlive?
And somehow also be able to get this information (debug output?) when we get
the "why can't I render to xvid/h264/whatever" issue filed in mantis.

From "my seat", the easiest would be to ask mlt what encodings are
supported... not consumers, but encodings :-)

But I reckon this is either not possible, or requires a lot of work (in mlt).
So, the-me suggested (tentatively) that we should at least make it possible
at compile time to configure in such a way that some render profiles would
not show up.

Just wanted to toss it up here.

Regards

Mads