[Kdenlive-devel] ffmpeg dependencies. Was: Re: kdenlive0.7.1

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Sat Jan 3 02:39:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Mads Bondo Dydensborg
<mads at dydensborg.dk> wrote:

> On irc the other day, there was some talk from the-me (Patrick Matthäi -
> apparently a debian package maintainer) about getting a --enable-gpl
> equivalent option to kdenlive, to allow it to compile without modules that
> conflict with the patent/whatever issues that disallow some distributions to
> distribute non-crippled versions of ffmpeg (sorry for the running sentence).
>
> His issue was to get rid of the export profiles that does not work on these
> distros. He promised to file an issue, but I am not sure he got around to it.

You should not get rid of the export profiles, but just hide them
based on the capabilities because someone should be able add a plugin
to enable them, and it will be inconvenient to make a package just for
more render profiles - both for packager and user. Is kdenlive already
doing some detection and hiding the ones for which the codec is not
available? I can add something to MLT to facilitate a query.

> From "my seat", the easiest would be to ask mlt what encodings are
> supported... not consumers, but encodings :-)

exactly

> But I reckon this is either not possible, or requires a lot of work (in mlt).

it should not be a lot of work. basically, something like:

$ inigo -consumer avformat f=list vcodec=list acodec=list

and the consumer will print a list of things on stderr similar to
ffmpeg, but probably different syntax.

--
+-DRD-+