[Kdenlive-devel] Limited changes to profile.xml rendering

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Mon Oct 27 21:52:51 UTC 2008

Dear friends,

I commited limited changes to the profile.xml file :

* Add a "web sites" category with Dailymotion, Youtube and Vimeo render
parameters.

* Fix Xvid export (using libxvid vcodec).

* Consider we should be using mp3 audio when exporting to mp4 and xvid4.

* Changing most 22000 audio bitrates to higher values like 44100 and
48000. Some soundcards do not accept low bitrates. This is also the case
of home DVD players.

* Adding h264 encoding. In this particular case, I would like to discuss
the interest of defining presets s=width x height. I added profiles
using video bitrates. This means that we don't have to set resolution
any longer. Ffmpeg is able to set s=width x height automatically.

A great feature would be to export these variables from Kdenlive using
placeholders. Like s = %widthx%height

The reason is that most users do not understand why we have to set a
profile and then choose resolution on export. Except DVD, Web sites,
HDV, setting resolution is quite useless.

If we had placeholders, users would be able to click and customize
export size when needed. In 99% of cases, there would be no need to
customize size, as it is the same as profile.

Comments and feedback welcome.
Especialy on this size issue + formats (ffmpeg wizards needed).

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel