[Kdenlive-devel] New proposal for screen grab -> recordmydesktop -> feedback needed

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Mon Oct 27 08:30:19 UTC 2008

Dear Friends,

I tested ffmpeg screen grab with alsa support (thanks JB) and tried to
make clean 1280x720 screen grabs (thanks Dan).

Sorry if I keep posting about screen grab, but I would like a suitable
solution for scren grab, which is one of keys for success.

Yesterday, I watched very nice tutorials on Vimeo about Final Cut Pro
(FCP) and other softwares. It is a very neat feature to be able to
follow the mouse.

Examples:
http://www.vimeo.com/1111872

Problem: ffmpeg does not support following mouse.
Solution: use an external program like recordmydesktop.

recordmydesktop is part of all GNU/Linux distributions.

In short it supports:
* yuv420p non-compressed video capture
* Alsa, OSS and .. jack
* Follow mouse

Example of screen grab:

recordmydesktop -width 1280 -height 720 -fps 15  --full-shots
--follow-mouse -device hw:0,0 -freq 48000 -o capture.ogv

recordmydesktop produces only ogg files, but this is not a drawback as
screengrabs are intended to be edited in Kdenlive.

I am going to use recordmydesktop to create short tutorials.
Shall we use screengrab inside kdenlive?

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel