[Kdenlive-devel] Handling display aspect ratio for custom resolutions?

Mads Bondo Dydensborg mads at dydensborg.dk
Thu Oct 23 11:53:40 UTC 2008

Hi all

This mail is motivated from irc (#kdenlive on irc.freenode.net).

One of our users has done a lot of screencasting, in the resolution 832x604.

For a number of operations, he needs a custom profile. For the custom profile
he needs to set the pixel aspect ratio to 1/1, and afaict, he needs to set
the display aspect ratio to 832 / 604. Now, this is equivalent to 208 / 151
(151 is prime).

However, the custom profiles entry dialog in kdenlive limits the dar settings
to 1-99 ... so, the closest I have gotten, is 98 / 71. But this is not
correct, and when e.g. extracting a frame, the resulting frame size will be
840x604, as the dar is multiplied on the heigt to get the width.

Is there a reason to this limit in the dialog, or can it be removed? Or, is
there a better way to handle custom resolutions from e.g. screen grabs?

Regards

Mads

P.S. I think it is within my capabilities to actually remove the limit from
the gui, if I get a "OK" to go.

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg   mads at dydensborg.dk   http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

The US population is 4 % of the global one. They produce 23 % of the global
pollution.