[Kdenlive-devel] KDE-digest, Binaries and Logo

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Tue Nov 4 17:31:02 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 03:12:54AM -0500, Bugs Bane wrote:
> LOGO PROPOSAL:
> I'd love to get a logo & icon finished for the 0.7 release. If
> anyone would care to offer constructive feedback (either way)
> on the latest revision at
> http://www.kdenlive.org/bbforum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=593&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10#p2244
> I'd appreciate it, as time is short.

I think this b/w one is pretty nice job:
http://www.kdenlive.org/bbforum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=593&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p2058

--- achtung, grumpy packager below ---

> EASY BINARIES WITH 0INSTALL:

Some consider 0install a deeply flawed idea (just as gobo linux).

The same folks who push it were spotted with other magnificent
"inventions" like XML desktop in ROX-Filer (makes your users lose
the files brought on external media in a moment -- they would
think they've copied it over to desktop but the software is
smarter and would only put a *reference* in).

So while it might *seem* beautiful, reality differs :-(

> - It seems extraordinarily simple to use to create packages
> from a standard binary (just answer a few basic questions in
> a gui).

Keyword: seems.

> - It let's us get Kdenlive out instantly *now* rather than
> users having to wait months (or more) for their distros update
> their repos.

Desktop/multimedia oriented distros are usually quite eager
to catch up like that.  Besides, one usually doesn't really like
dealing with 0signal bugreports...

>  - It can even provide incremental updates (ie just files
>  changed) unlike deb / RPM's.

JFYI: http://freshmeat.net/projects/deltarpm/
(supported on openSUSE, ALT Linux, maybe others)

> - It works across platforms. 1 0install binary works on
> Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse, Mandriva etc.

It's either (semi)static build, trivial software without any
non-trivial library dependencies at all, simple luck or
utter nonsense.  I'd say for kdenlive it's rather the latter.

> Wouldn't it be amazing to have a cross-distro binary available
> on launch day? That said, I'm no coder and may have missed
> something obvious. See http://0install.net/ for the overview to
> see for yourself.

I'm a packager who maintains 200+ packages, including kino and
looking at newer kdenlive as well (we've got proper packager
for 0.5 already).  Using Linux and building different software
for ten years by now... and have read Software-Building HOWTO
last century. :)

Yet, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.  Distro teams
would largely prefer idling instead of working on spec files
and debian/rules if there was such a silver bullet which would
actually work (let alone desktop integration).

Sorry for dispelling things but hope it will save more
frustration after spending more time... :(

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>