[Kdenlive-devel] What mlt modules does kdenlive need?

jb jb at kdenlive.org
Fri Jul 25 17:17:20 UTC 2008

On Friday 25 July 2008 16:13:46 Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:
> Hi there
>
> As mentioned in another post, I have build a wizard to ease building
> kdenlive from svn. Feedback from a couple users indidcate that some mlt
> modules are more tricky than others to get going (sox, qimage). So, I was
> wondering what the minimal mlt module list is for kdenlive? I reckon the
> kdenlive modules is required (:-), and the kino module is quite optional,
> but what about the rest? And, are there different requirements for kde3 and
> kde4?

Hi.

First, thanks for your work. I think it would be great if your wizard could
build the kde4 kdenlive version since no further work is done on the kde3
version (I don't have time to maintain both).

The requirements are the same for the kde4 version (except of course that it
requires QT 4.4 and KDE 4.1)

About modules:
The SDL, westley, core and avformat are absolutely necessary for kdenlive.
Ubuntu users have problems building the sox module because of a bug in sox
package. There is a missing link, but that can be fixed  with following
command:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libsox.so.0 /usr/lib/libsox.so

The jackrack module adds some audio effects
To add images or slideshows, you need either the gtk2 or qimage producer. The
qimage module has some extra formats like gimp xcf but it is maybe less stable
than the gtk2 producer. You can have both modules without problems, MLT will
use the correct one depending on the image format.

Also important to note is that the qimage producer can be compiled either with
qt4 or qt3. You cannot use the qimage qt3 module with kde4 kdenlive, you need
to compile qimage with qt4.

The kdenlive module is not necessary, it adds some effects (slow motion,
freeze) that are currently unstable and maybe not working.

Most other modules add some effects but are not necessary.

Hope it helps.

regards
jb