[Kdenlive-devel] Logo - was: Re: Website changes

Mads Bondo Dydensborg mads at dydensborg.dk
Fri Dec 19 09:27:16 UTC 2008

fredag 19 December 2008 skrev Jean-Michel Pouré:
> > The question is, what is the best process that encourages people to
> > commit their time and energy to the project we all want to see
> > succeed?
>
> Kdenlive has plenty of valuable projects for non-programming folks:
[list of stuff to do deleted]

Dear Jean-Michel

I think you miss the point Cinephiliac is trying to make, a discussion about
process; its a huge *disencouragement* to have participated in a process in
the forums, that involve a key project lead (JB) and takes place over several
months, just to have it shot down in a single email.

The discussion started here:
http://kdenlive.org/forum/kdenlive-kde4-logo-draft
and at some point continued here:
http://kdenlive.org/forum/kdenlive-kde4-logo-draft2

At least twice Cinephiliac announced the effort on this list, at the 4th of
November and the 23th of November. On the 4th of November, jb on this list
wrote that he agreed on the new logo & icon for 0.7.

I recall once that I tried to contribute a tutorial for another project. I
asked if I should do a tutorial, was confirmed, then spent a number of days
writing something I though was pretty useful. After submitting it, I did not
get any response at all, but one of the devs wrote another tutorial instead.
I never submitted anything for that project again - couldn't see the point
really. I was partly at fault, because I should have tried to solicit
feedback during my writing, but the devs should have explained to me what
they thought was wrong, such that my effort could have been guided, and my
continued involvement ensured. They failed to do that, IMHO.

In the process around the new icon Cinephiliac *did* solicit feedback. He
*did* get it from at least one key member (and a number of others). I can
only imagine his frustration at getting stopped at the "goalline", so to
speak.

Please note that this is not about the validity of your arguments about the
icon. Its about making sure that we ensure the continued involvment of
contributors, and ensure that key members (such as you) provide guidance,
instead of (perceived) rejection.

Now, I know that Cinephiliac is a proud Australian, and I am sure that he will
just grab a Foster (or whatever passes for beer an Australia/Canada these
days), and continue his efforts with Kdenlive! But IMHO any serious open
source project should always try to guide and support their contributors, and
make sure that contributors feel their efforts are worthwhile. And I think we
should keep that in mind, even if it means that we sometimes may have to
accept an outcome that we (as individuals) do not totally agree with.

Regards

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg   mads at dydensborg.dk   http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want
to adopt a rational attitude.
                                - Karl Popper