[Kdenlive-devel] Logo - was: Re: Website changes

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Fri Dec 19 08:06:33 UTC 2008

> The question is, what is the best process that encourages people to
> commit their time and energy to the project we all want to see
> succeed?

Kdenlive has plenty of valuable projects for non-programming folks:
* Write good and accurate documentation,
* Screencast short 10s to 2min tutorials,
* Screencast longer tutorials involving several tools, to describe a
whole project,
* Advocate Kdenlive on dedicated film websites, register these
communities in web links and query Google reports,
* Manage bug reports, propose new features,
* Look for packagers and try to find reliable people,
* Find a MacOsX port manager (on MacPorts),
* Enhance the features of our website using Drupal modules and/or
programming (I have a long list of Todos for interested people),
* When this all this is done, translate our website in 30 languages.
* Support new users asking questions on Forums. For example, after
answering someone, you can add information to the documentation
immediately.

You are free to choose some interesting project and participate in
Kdenlive development.

Now, don't stick on this logo issue.
In software, two things are not allowed:

1) Use the name of a registered trademark. For example, decide to rename
Kdenlive into Sony XXXX for GNU/Linux.
2) Use the logo of a registered trademark. For example, use the logo of
Final Cut Pro.

Now you are free to submit any new logo. At first, try to gather all
logs from major products. So you don't choose one of these by error.
This leaves a whole space of creativity.

By the way, when I reviewed your logo, I searched on Google for FCP
logo. This was my first move. Probably the discussion did not start on
this issue because noone looked for existing logos of registered
products. We are all sorry for this whaste of time. But there is plenty
of space left for contributions.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel