[Kdenlive-devel] Logo - was: Re: Website changes

Cinephiliac bugsbane at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 04:47:22 UTC 2008

Hey guys,

Thanks for the support Mads, and thanks for caring enough to argue your case JMP (the new template looks great, btw). I think honestly what's missing here is actual team discussion / system. I'm not even just talking about if it should be one specific logo or not, so much as having some kind of feedback system so that effort on Kdenlive isn't wasted.

I'll illustrate my point.

The earliest version of the double arrow icon was posted months and months ago asking for feedback. Multiple versions were posted over time, and later even a different thread, once again asking for feedback. Feedback was asked for on IRC. Emails asking for feedback had been sent to both individuals (though in fairness this doesn't include JMP), and to the whole of Kdenlive-Devel.

Any feedback that was received was either positive, or when changes were asked for, they were made (thanks JB for the early suggestions). The clapper board was in all of these revisions almost right from the start.

The only resistance to the clapper board came after months of work and final delivery of the finished image. It came as an absolute rejection without any visible discussion with key contributors such as JB and Dan before eventually being emailed later to the -devel list.

Now here's the good news. As far as I can see, we're all passionate about the same things (film and open source) and want the same things (success for Kdenlive as a project).

The question is, what is the best process that encourages people to commit their time and energy to the project we all want to see succeed? If the new logo isn't used, I think we'd all agree that all the time working on it and trying to get feedback have been wasted. That hurts. What could save that kind of contributed energy from being wasted (and encourage more contribution)? Just saying telling someone "Start again." in a system that has already wasted large amounts of their time does not encourage anyone to contribute, especially when it comes from only one person rather than from a openly discussed team agreement.

Can you imagine if we allowed individuals to delete sections of the SVN code at will, in a way that it was final and couldn't be changed even with backups? What if they didn't need any team discussion to do this? Who would contribute anything under those circumstances? Who would spend *more* time to create their contribution - again - after it was thrown out the first time?

As far as is visible, this is how the decision to throw out the icon and logo happened. By the time the list had been emailed, the decision had been made and stated to me as fact. Whether or not everyone thinks the new logo should be used is less the issue than whether Kdenlive encourages valuable contribution based on discussion from everyone. That's not for me to say, but for everyone who cares about the project to create - the best it can be done- today and every day.

Peace.