[Kdenlive-devel] Bulletin-board forum, website suggestions

Fabricio Rocha rocha_fabricio at yahoo.com.br
Wed Mar 28 03:47:27 UTC 2007

Hi all!

	I hope you have seen the pt_BR.po file I made for Kdenlive and posted
to the list (although it was a little bit too big and required
moderators approval for being posted)...

	Well, who is the webmaster for Kdenlive's site? I had just made a
research for an open-source equivalent to vBulletin, which might be used
as an engine for a possible Kdenlive board. I hope I am not saying what
everyone else knows... I came across two interesting and nice systems:
phpBB (http://www.phpbb.com), which I had already read about but did not
know exactly what it was (...), and MyBB (http://www.mybboard.com).

	Both of them use PHP and need a SQL server, and Sourceforge itself
provides one. The configuration of a PHP forum in SF.net may be a little
bit tricky -- I had installed Mambo for my SF.net project with great
difficulties, because of NO writing permissions, needed for on-site
updates of configuration files, etc. However, the SQL database itself
(i.e., the board messages) is writeable. Is the SF.net MySQL account
already in use in Kdenlive´s site?

	I should reinforce my point-of-view -- now that Kdenlive seems to be
gaining lots of users, and starting to be much more than a
"developers-only toy" (no offense intended, this is just what most Free
Softwares are in their childhood), you developers might find that the
developers-mailing-list is becoming too crowded of people like me (mea
culpa), so a board like phpBB or MyBB would be really more pleasant and
useful for the users feedback and interaction...

	Also, I think that such board could correct a thing I had just noticed
-- there are TWO wikis, huh? One for the manual (the Kdenlive Wikibook)
and another one in kdenlive.sourceforge.net, the "main host". Incredible
how I did not see that before. IMHO, I think that this might lead both
users and writers to wrong places sometimes -- kind of "whaddahell, I am
SURE I have read something here about transitions!!". I don´t know if
one is a partial mirror of the other, but, if this is not the case, it
will be really hard to keep both wikis updated...

	So I suggest that you, guys, replace the smaller wiki with one of the
PHP boards mentioned above, and just modify the current "Documentation"
link to make it point directly to the Kdenlive Wikibook (the manual).
What do you think?

Cheers,

Fabricio Rocha
Brasilia, Brazil

Yahoo! Mail - Sempre a melhor opção para você!
Experimente já e veja as novidades.
http://br.yahoo.com/mailbeta/tudonovo/