[Kdenlive-devel] what can i do? and a suggestion

jb jb at ader.ch
Fri Mar 16 14:25:54 UTC 2007

Salvatore Brigaglia wrote:
> Dear devs
>
> I'v got some problems like screen flashes (screen becomes black for less than
> a second) when:
> adding a clip (text, video, images doesn't matter)
> moving a clip on the timeline
> adding effects
> modifying effects parameter
> and any other move that affects video previev/position (you can image the
> percentage of this kind of operation).

Hello.

Yes, I can see the same problem. Most of it should now be fixed.

> Apart that the program is gettin more stable day by day and this kind of
> problem leave kdenlive still usable. But another thing, more serious, appens
> using this video card: I'm not able to see preview on the timeline/clip
> monitor when i click "play". I'm able to see effects and transition rendered
> but only frame by frame. when i click play i get the audio only.
> I'm able to see videos with kaffeine/ffplay/inigo/mplayer (whit some artifacts
> on the screen). Do you think that i can do somethin or is an
> x11-driver "savage" problem that i cannot solve?

Please try updating to the latest svn. I the problem is still here, can
you try playing a video with inigo:
inigo my_video.mpg

Can you see the image ?

> By the way
> What about adding a "nice level selector" in the export window (both for dvd
> and single file). Is it possible?

I have several ideas to improve rendering usability:

* Allow several rendering jobs at the same time
* Make the rendering process completely independant from Kdenlive, so
that you can close or crash the program without interrupting rendering

Of course, an option to set priority would also be nice, but these
features won't make it in 0.5, because I don't want to delay it more.
Another point is that these things will be much nicer with KDE 4 which
should have a great centralized job progress dialog,
see: http://dot.kde.org/1169588301/

regards
jb