[Kdenlive-devel] editing interlaced video - result video has 'jumping edges'

espinosa_cz espinosa_cz at centrum.cz
Mon Mar 12 01:50:17 UTC 2007

Is Kdenlive supposed to work well with interlaced video?

I currently playing with some interlaced video. The editation is OK,
output seems to be OK when played on PC, on software player like
Kaffeine, but with artifacts when playing on DVD player. The artifacts
can be described as "jumping edges" of some objects, the jumping area is
roughly equivalent with "comb edges" naturally caused by interlacing, so
I guess it has something to do with the interlacing. Please see
screenshots. Source video is played fine on both software player and DVD
player, carefully tested, no artifacts.

Sample video fragment, the original:
http://espinosa.klenot.cz/videotest/prokladane.vob

The same piece reencoded in Kdenlive (title added, exported as DVD PAL).
http://espinosa.klenot.cz/videotest/rendered-test2.vob

Detailed sceenshots (Avidemux), source, OK:
http://espinosa.klenot.cz/videotest/iterlaced_vob_original_ok.png

Detailed sceenshots (Avidemux), output with "jumping edges" artifacts:
http://espinosa.klenot.cz/videotest/iterlaced_vob_reencoded_by_kdenlive_jumping1.png

Note: I tried to catch exactly the same frame, but framing is not
identical (see the frame number at the bottom), so I tried to get it as
close as I can.
Strange, there is no visible difference, both are similarly "combed" but
one is OK and one is "jumping".

This is not a DVD player issue as my friends reported "jerkiness" or
"bad quality" too testing my rendered output.

Note: the video is originally from analog Hi8 camera, digilalized by a
DVD recorder using original camera and Hi8 tapes.

Kdenlive 0.4 from SUSE Packman repo.

Any help well appreciated.

Espinosa