[Kdenlive-devel] dash shell scripting problems in (K)Ubuntu edgy

Harry van der Wolf harryvanderwolf at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 12 21:30:05 UTC 2007

Hi all,

On the new wiki I added the following note for the installation part
some weeks ago:
======================
When the ./configure... step ends in errors like:<br>
<code>./configure: 37: function: not found<br>
./configure: 93: function: not found<br>
./configure: 174: build_config: not found<br></code>
<code>...<br>
./configure: 191: build_pkgconfig: not found</code>

Either edit the ./configure file and replace on the first line
"#!/bin/sh" to "#!/bin/bash" and run again, or simply type: bash
./configure .....
===========================

i just updated this WIKI entry with the following:
===========================
When you are on (K)Ubuntu and the ./configure... step ends in errors
like:<br>
<code>./configure: 37: function: not found<br>
./configure: 93: function: not found<br>
./configure: 174: build_config: not found<br></code>
<code>...<br>
./configure: 191: build_pkgconfig: not found</code>

Either edit the ./configure file and replace on the first line
"#!/bin/sh" to "#!/bin/bash" and run again, or simply type: bash
./configure .....
This problem is caused due to the fact that (K)Ubuntu Edgy defaults to
the dash shell instead of the bash shell. Dash is currently known for
being less compatible with scripting.

============================

('m dedicating a separate mail to it because I think it is important for
all (K)Ubuntu users who do a lot of compiling themselves or who do use a
lot of (bash) shell scripts like I do myself.

If you're on (K)Ubuntu and you do in a terminal the following: ls -l
$(which sh)
You will most likely get: lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2006-10-28 17:26
/bin/sh -> dash.

As mentioned: dash is known to be incompatible in scripting (Google
around). Just wanted to let you know.

Kind regards,
Harry