[Kdenlive-devel] Questions and suggestions regarding Slideshow clips

Harry van der Wolf harryvanderwolf at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 7 14:49:00 UTC 2007

jb wrote:
> Harry van der Wolf wrote:
>
>> 2. Quality of transitions:
>> When I select a Crossfade transition without LUMA file, the rendered
>> slideshow in the end looks good. However, the slideshow effect is
>> sometimes not visible at all. It looks as if it is skipped.
>> Also, When I select a nice LUMA transition (clock, the new swirl, or
>> another),
>> - the transition effect is sometimes not visible at all
>> - sometimes it looks like a "stutter" going from one slide to another,
>> but the effect itself is not visible
>> - and sometimes the effect is not finished, showing artifacts from the
>> previous slide in the current slide (after the transition is finished,
>> that is).
>>

> Does it also happen when you render the movie or only on preview ?

I'm not referring to the preview. It does happen too during the preview,
but that's just a CPU problem with my old laptop. I really mean the
rendered video. I did tests with several photo's in small arrays, 6 or
7, and in large arrays, 50-130. This does not make a difference in behavior.
>> My questions here are:
>> a. how is the slideshow implemented? Is it a (external) call tot
>> DVD-Slideshow (or dir2slideshow) from the DVD-slideshow tools, and if
>> so: what version is needed? My Kubuntu comes shipped with the 0.72
>> package. Is anyone using a newer version (the new 0.80) and does
>> he/she do not have this caveats in quality (assuming it is based on
>> dvd-slideshow)?
>> b. If it is not dvd-slideshow, is there some quality setting for
>> slideshows within Kdenlive. Some video packages also have a separate
>> slideshow functionality. These slideshows are sometimes generated with
>> a lower quality as the changes from frame to frame are almost zero,
>> unless you start to use fancy transitions in which case you need some
>> intelligence to create slideshows with low bandwidth on the slide
>> itself and high bandwidth on the transitions (2-pass encoders, same
>> for video).
>> c. If b is true, can you put in some high/low quality setting in case
>> transitions are used.
>>

> The slideshow uses an MLT filter that does the transition. Maybe there
> are some bugs in it, I will try to make some tests.

I'm now using the MLT/MLT++ svn's. I will make a test myself with the
standard 0.2.2 versions libraries. I also use the free vmware player
(for feisty). I will try to make another platform in vmware, say
slackware, and try it both in feisty and slackware.

Thanks for your answers.

Kind regards,
Harry