[Kdenlive-devel] dv size

Hans-Jürgen Koch hjk at linutronix.de
Tue Jul 3 10:20:19 UTC 2007

Am Dienstag 03 Juli 2007 11:45 schrieb Reinhard Amersberger:

> > I reported this in April, but nobody seemed to care.
> >
> > Hans
> >

> Hi,
>
> there are several possible reasons why a message don't get an answer ...
> If you don't get an answer, just send it again ;)

Oh, I didn't say I got no answers. I offered to perform any tests the
developers wanted, but the tool they suggested was not available for me.
After I told them that, I got no more answers. Maybe none of them ever
uses DV files, or they convert them to xvid or so to work around the
problem.
Now we've got the same problem reported 3 months later, so obviously
nobody cared to deal with it in the meantime. That's what I meant.

> btw - generally I have to disagree your statement above!
> The developers have a lot of questions to answer,

If they did that on this list (which they don't, given the low traffic
on kdenlive-devel), others could get valuable hints as well.

> beside the other great
> work they are doing,

No doubt about that. Kdenlive is a nice application, that's why I wanted
to use it in the first place. And, please, don't get me wrong: I don't
blame anybody for the bugs in kdenlive. That happens. I merely think that
tracking down and fixing bugs is not too important for the developers.
They prefer adding new features.

I am a software developer myself (mostly kernel stuff). But with these
applications I use in my leisure time, I want to be a simple end user.
I still know what I'd like to see from users of my projects, so I try
to be of some help identifying a certain bug. In my case, they were not
interested, maybe due to lack of time. I know how it is if you've got
only one or two programmers actually working on a complex piece of
software.

Again, I don't mind and I don't blame anybody for this. I use kino
instead. In a few weeks, I'll have a DV cutting project again, I will
update my Debian packages, and try again. If the bug still exists,
I will report it again on this list, and offer help to track it down.
And so on.

Thanks,
Hans