[Kdenlive-devel] Need advice on input format / Kdenlive features

Ruslan Popov rpopov at jet.msk.su
Wed Oct 25 11:27:37 UTC 2006

Hi all.
Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> I am working with a small team
> to produce a documentary.
>
> We shot interviews and share the source videos on the Internet.
> This allows each member of the team to access source videos.
> Kdenlive will be used to edit the videos and produce the final work.
>
> My questions are:
>
> * Shall I use DV as source or high-quality Mpeg4?
> Here are examples of DV and Mpeg4 sources :
> http://www.bulle-immobiliere.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14958
>
> * Are there plans for Kdenlive to support
> non-destructive editing, at least in Mpeg4.
>
> I mean during rendering, frames that are not edited would
> output using "ffmpeg -acodec copy -vcodec copy".
>
> * Anamorphic questions
>
> The documentary is shot in 16:9, using low-cost tri-ccd camcorders. We
> prefer 16:9 to be able to display subtitles.
>
> If I use Mpeg4, shall I resize all source films to 16:9 prior to editing
> OR should the rendered handle resizing? I know this is a difficult
> question and very softwares support resizing well. As you can see, the
> mpeg4 source example is resized. Do you think it is a good strategy to
> resize prior to video editing?

I think it is very bad strategy, coz u loose quality. Better way is to
add to kdenlive 16:9 profile which will apply on all Text Clips and
other video.

As usual, 16:9 video is captured by standard camera with 16:9 function
inside or 16:9 lense. So we always get 4:3 video and we have to work
with it, and export it without resizing. Just set needed option when you
burn your DVD disk. But in the case of internet video, just do resize on
final step of processing your video.
--

            _/               Ruslan Popov