[Kdenlive-devel] XML representation for effects.

Rolf Dubitzky Rolf.Dubitzky at physi.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Mar 8 18:23:43 UTC 2004

On Monday 08 March 2004 17:56, Dan Dennedy wrote:
> Yes, but the world is full of opinions, no? I voiced my opinion for
> LGPL.

;-) Sure. I wasn't critizising you, especially not since you are just an
employee. Just the strange fears of GPL which are generally found among
employers.

> We do heavily use ffmpeg and plan to use it more while also
> supporting the proprietary MainConcept codecs. Frankly, I think
> gstreamer is way too brittle. After what we accomplished in 3 months, it
> amazes me how long gstreamer has been in development with such poor
> results.

IMHO, they suffer from a tremendous overdesign and lack of apreciation of
simplicity. Also they suffer from doing OOP in C, that's what C++ was
invented for.

> Of course, that is easy for me to say without helping. However,
> I strongly believe using gstreamer would have resulted in a failure to
> deliver a solution and not being paid in order to feed my children. We
> probably could have accomplished what we need using xine--I did write
> Xine output plugins for my BlueFish SDI card :-). Another big factor is
> the decision of the development lead, and in this project it was not me.

In your situation I would have done probably the same thing. I live in
academic heaven. People pay me money to crash electrons into each other.
I jst say 'unfortunate' because I concider all your efforts as lost as far as
OSS is concerned. But I guess you kids don't care much about OSS ;-)

Cheers, Rolf

--
contacts: www.physi.uni-heidelberg.de/~dubitzky