[Kdenlive-devel] XML representation for effects.

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Mon Mar 8 16:56:23 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 11:03, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> On Monday 08 March 2004 16:11, Dan Dennedy wrote:
> > I think you already know--at least Jason--that we were
> > contracted to develop a new video playout server that can all do all
> > sorts of realtime effects and output uncompressed over SDI. We could not
> > use piave because the customer wanted a pure C implementation with the
> > option to license the core framework BSD. The license issue as well as
> > other factors ruled out consideration of other things like gstreamer or
> > xine as well. Therefore, we created yet another new media framework.
>
> This is of course a very stupid thing to do (I guess you would agree, but you
> have to pay the rent somehow, I know;-) and I personally find it very
> unfortunate for linux and OSS, because I am _very_ much in support of (L)GPL.
> In what whay (other than license) is you playout server different to
> GStreamer/ffmpeg/nmm/videoLAN ?  Why would anybody choose the BSD license
> over LGPL, other than planning to make further development proprietary?
> Unfortunate.

Yes, but the world is full of opinions, no? I voiced my opinion for
LGPL. We do heavily use ffmpeg and plan to use it more while also
supporting the proprietary MainConcept codecs. Frankly, I think
gstreamer is way too brittle. After what we accomplished in 3 months, it
amazes me how long gstreamer has been in development with such poor
results. Of course, that is easy for me to say without helping. However,
I strongly believe using gstreamer would have resulted in a failure to
deliver a solution and not being paid in order to feed my children. We
probably could have accomplished what we need using xine--I did write
Xine output plugins for my BlueFish SDI card :-). Another big factor is
the decision of the development lead, and in this project it was not me.