[Kdenlive-devel] XML representation for effects.

Rolf Dubitzky Rolf.Dubitzky at physi.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Mar 8 16:03:43 UTC 2004

On Monday 08 March 2004 16:11, Dan Dennedy wrote:
> Sigh, now for some troubling news :-/. After all my trumpeting, we might
> abandon SMIL.

That is no problem for us. At least not for me. When we talk here about "SMIL"
we actually are only meaning the names of a handfull of tags, and, frankly, I
give sh*t what they are called. This has nothing much to do with SMIL anyway.
It's at most 3% of the namespace.

> I think you already know--at least Jason--that we were
> contracted to develop a new video playout server that can all do all
> sorts of realtime effects and output uncompressed over SDI. We could not
> use piave because the customer wanted a pure C implementation with the
> option to license the core framework BSD. The license issue as well as
> other factors ruled out consideration of other things like gstreamer or
> xine as well. Therefore, we created yet another new media framework.

This is of course a very stupid thing to do (I guess you would agree, but you
have to pay the rent somehow, I know;-) and I personally find it very
unfortunate for linux and OSS, because I am _very_ much in support of (L)GPL.
In what whay (other than license) is you playout server different to
GStreamer/ffmpeg/nmm/videoLAN ?  Why would anybody choose the BSD license
over LGPL, other than planning to make further development proprietary?
Unfortunate.

Cheers, Rolf

--
contacts: www.physi.uni-heidelberg.de/~dubitzky