[Kdenlive-devel] testing pgrab

Rolf Dubitzky Rolf.Dubitzky at physi.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Sep 18 09:05:36 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 17 September 2003 11:31, Reinhard Amersberger wrote:
> Ok, I've tested it, but had to run pgrab as root, otherwise I get this

We can only "fix" this by  giving the user an understandable error message and
give instructions on how to change the necessary permisssions.
Within kdenlive, it would in principle be possible to ask for a root password,
but I would not recommend running piave as root. It makes more sense to
change the necessary permissions. Almost every Linux-distribution has some
mechanism to ensure, that the user on the console has extended permissions to
the floppy and other exchangeable media, this should be extended to the
ieee1394 device.

> So when running pgrab as root everything seems to work fine, but there is
> no captured file in the directory I've specified (please look shell output
> below).

In principle, the file is written to ../capture.dv , which doesn't make much
sense as a default, I agree.

> avstream.cc:69 INFO:  _recievedFrames=0
>
> Is this the answer to my problem?

Well, I would say, that is is the problem, not actually the answer ;-)
What camera do you have? Does the cam react to the other commands, like play,
play, fwd, rewind, etc. ?

Cheers, Rolf

--
contacts: www.physi.uni-heidelberg.de/~dubitzky