[Kdenlive-devel] testing pgrab

Jason Wood jwood at climax.co.uk
Wed Sep 17 09:37:18 UTC 2003

It sounds like your normal user does not have read/write access to the
relevant ieee1394 devices. I cannot remember which devices they are, but I
believe /dev/raw1394 or similar is one of them. There are others for
camcorder control and recording, I believe.

There are potential security issues with making the firewire bus
read/writable by a normal user - any ieee1394 device can be accessed via the
bus, so if you had a firewire harddrive for example, a normal user could
completely trash it...

Personally, I don't care about multi-user secutiry issues on my laptop
though, I'm more concerned with the security issues of people walking off
with it ;-)

Cheers,
Jason