[Kdenlive-devel] Clips running too fast

Rolf Dubitzky R.Dubitzky at physi.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Nov 27 21:34:33 UTC 2003

On Thursday 27 November 2003 12:50, Jason Wood wrote:
> Ok, for me the does seem to have been cleared up by changing my arts setup
> so that it works (I think the autodetection was going a little bit screwy,
> forcing it to use ALSA works and doesn't give me the white noise effect,
> which was indeed occurring on everything using arts, not just piave.).

Ok, that is consistent with my experience. Since I just started using ALSA
(with current versions 2.4.23 and 2.6.0) and I already like it ;-) I think
I'll add a native ALSA output plugin. I usually don't use aRts since I have
all kinds of troubles with aRts.  Some of my most used programs like
gnomemeeting (ok, that's gnome and not likely to work with aRts) but also
kphone (which is a KDE program) don't work with aRts so I stopped using it.

> I have noticed something interesting - if the arts buffer size is set too
> large (not recommended for video editing anyway), piave starts to play the
> video more slowly, which in turn seems to cause the audio to stutter.
> Setting the buffer size too small also makes the sound stutter - although
> that is the obvious one, where presumably arts cannot feed the sound card
> fast enough.

Hmm.. interesting..

Cheers, Rolf

--