[Kdenlive-devel] Clips running too fast

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Nov 27 20:50:52 UTC 2003

On Thursday 27 Nov 2003 7:51 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have also experienced some timing isuues since I switched to new
> kernel+ALSA I try to look into it. but anyway, if aRts is running, the
> output plugin should be able to connect to the aRts server. did you try if
> aRts is really running with explicitly using the xmms aRts output plugin?

Ok, for me the does seem to have been cleared up by changing my arts setup so
that it works (I think the autodetection was going a little bit screwy,
forcing it to use ALSA works and doesn't give me the white noise effect,
which was indeed occurring on everything using arts, not just piave.).

I have noticed something interesting - if the arts buffer size is set too
large (not recommended for video editing anyway), piave starts to play the
video more slowly, which in turn seems to cause the audio to stutter. Setting
the buffer size too small also makes the sound stutter - although that is the
obvious one, where presumably arts cannot feed the sound card fast enough.

For information, my kernel is currently the Mandrake "multimedia" kernel,
which I thought would be interesting to try out. I am not convinced that it
is any better than the normal Mandrake kernel; to me it actually feels slower
than the normal kernel.

Cheers,
Jason

--