[Kdenlive-devel] Re: kino and next steps

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 14 01:28:00 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 14 Jan 2003 1:10 am, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Jason Wood wrote:
> > At this moment in time, I think that file formats are more important than
> > capturing.
>
> Ok, this requires major refactoring of a lot of interior parts. this is
> not simple at all.

Now is the time for big development changes ;-)

If it takes a really long time and I finish all of the monitor stuff, I'll get
on with the transition/effect code. I've got plenty to keep me busy ;-)

>  I checked xine-lib today and it looks very nice,
> however handling mpeg isn't at all as easy as DV. Anyway I'll try and see
> what I can do.   Since xine-lib can't encode, this is a completely
> different issue. It doesn't make much sense to produce raw DV files from
> mpeg sources.  What kind of target formats would you be most interested
> in?

Well, it might not make sense to encode mpeg as raw DV, but the design should
be capable of it. I can think of one reason - if you for some unearthly
reason wanted to edit some mpeg footage along with some footage you acptures
of your dv cam. Or, perhaps if you wanted to record the mpeg back onto your
dv cam, for some reason.

Ok, not the worlds greatest reasons, but you get the point - somebody out
there will probably want to encode mpegs as raw dv files, and then moan if
it's not possible. :-)

Format wise, I would be happy with raw DV, support for avi (not necessarily
all of the codecs, personally I would only be interested in divx)

For import, as many formats as possible! In particular though, sequences of
images and AVI dv file support spring to mind.

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood