[Kdenlive-devel] Re: kino and next steps

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Tue Jan 14 10:13:41 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 02:28 am, Jason Wood wrote:
> Now is the time for big development changes ;-)

yes.

> If it takes a really long time and I finish all of the monitor stuff, I'll
> get on with the transition/effect code. I've got plenty to keep me busy ;-)

ok. But I will do it step by step. that means I will select one target format
after another. first support only unmixed projects. then support conversions
between different formats step by step.
But before I will start all that, I willhave to make the changes to the
framework architecture.
 The central 'Frame' class was designed with especially DV in mind. This must
change. Also I have to finish the loadable plugin interface. detecting and
communicating capabilies is unseparable from that.

> Well, it might not make sense to encode mpeg as raw DV, but the design
> should be capable of it.

Yes, sure, what I meant is, that the engine is now explicitely based on DV.
Many professional video editors don't cut in the input format, but transcode
all input to a special format. All editing is then done in that format. I
will do editing in the input format, rendering in plain YUV, and encoding in
the 'target format'. The target (i.e. resolution and encoding) will have to
be specified explicitely by the user. I will aupport something like "set
target format to the format of this input clip". I want to avoid transcoding
where ever possible, so that in the ideal case, if target format is
compatible with source format I just have to do a direct stream copy.

> I can think of one reason - if you for some
> unearthly reason wanted to edit some mpeg footage along with some footage
> you acptures of your dv cam. Or, perhaps if you wanted to record the mpeg
> back onto your dv cam, for some reason.
>
> Ok, not the worlds greatest reasons, but you get the point - somebody out
> there will probably want to encode mpegs as raw dv files, and then moan if
> it's not possible. :-)

Frankly, I will not give a rats ass about his moaning ;-) I rather have
somebody complaining that some strange things are not possible then nobody
complaining because nothing is working. I will add features step by step.

> Format wise, I would be happy with raw DV, support for avi (not necessarily
> all of the codecs, personally I would only be interested in divx)

Ok. same with me. DV in avi is not really a new target format since I don't
have to supprt any new codec.
mpeg4 compiant video and mp3 compliant audio in an avi container is the thing
I am going for then first.

Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/