[Kdenlive-devel] Happy New Year!

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 3 10:17:23 UTC 2003

On Thursday 02 Jan 2003 11:34 am, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> > > Once piave can read the scenelist, I think we are then truly ready for
> > > our first proper release.
>
> Im working on it. ;-)  If everything works out, I might commit tomorrow.

Cool :-)

> > > I am going to make one final change to Kdenlive before tar.gzipp'ing it
> > > up. I will add the ability for kdenlive to start the renderer on start
> > > up, with a settings box so that you can cofigure the program, path and
> > > port to start it on.
>
> The default location should be /usr/local/bin/piave . That's where it'll
> end up if you do 'make install'. I also seperated the examples and the
> server a little more. So the correct way to call piave would be:

I noticed that the last time I checked out piave (a week or so ago), the piave
application itself wasn't installed (It was disabled in the makefile.am) -
have you changed this now?

>  /usr/local/bin/piave
>
> or
>
>  /usr/local/bin/piave -p <port>
>
> You will not need -s anymore (There is no other functionality, everythin
> else is in 'examples')

Great. I have now committed kdenlive, it will :

* Open piave itself using piave -p <port>
* Assuming piave can be found, it will then try and connect.
* If the process dies and kdenlive cannot connect, it will try and open piave
again. (and again, and again and again and...) It's on a timer so it will
only try every fifth of a second or thereabouts.

By luck, if you run an instance of piave from a console and start kdenlive,
the piave process created by kdenlive will terminate (because piave won't be
able to bind the port), but kdenlive will connect to the piave instance on
the shell. This is the only way to receive Piave debug messages at the
moment, since kdenlive doesn't display them.

Note that if you change the renderer path/port settings in the configure
kdenlive.. dialog, you need to restart kdenlvie for changes to take effect.

> On Wednesday 01 January 2003 11:09 pm, booker wrote:
> > I don't know what's going on, but after making a fresh checkout of the
> > cvs sources (piave) compilation was successfully!
>
> Good ;-)
> Unless I screw it up completely, I try to keep the CVS HEAD in a compiling
> state. However, sometime I might miss incompatibilities between different
> distros/compilers.

Heh, same here. Kdenlive should always be compilable and runnable - although
it may have some half-finished features built in sometimes ;-)

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood