[Kdenlive-devel] dvdauthor

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Dec 25 17:51:12 UTC 2003

On Thursday 25 December 2003 20:55, Varol Okan wrote:
> All,
>
> I am currently trying to develop a GUI for dvdauthor and I wrote a
> complete parser for the xml files for dvdauthor and spumux. It is pretty
> straight forward (sometimes ugly) but simple. I used Qt exclusively
> (throughout the whole project).
>
> Please note that my app is at this time not doing anything but to read,
> and write the xml code as I am trying to figure out how to properly use
> dvdauther et al.
>
> Now I think it would be a cool add on to kdenlive to generate a DVD with
> menus, subtitles etc.  This might already exist but I could not get
> kdenlive 0.2.3 to work for me, so I would not know.

It doesn't exist at the moment. I thought you did get Kdenlive working in the
end, what was wrong, exactly?

> Anyhow, if you are interested I am more then happy to give the code to
> you (also currently my app is extremely small). After all, why do the
> same things over and over again ?

Sure, if the .tgz is around 50k or less, feel free to email it to the list, or
you can email it to me directly. We will have to discuss this and see how it
best fits into the "big picture" :-)

Here is something that I have been thinking about though :

I have become interested in some of the new features in KDE 3.2, in particular
KMdi, which is what Kdevelop uses to select between tabbed/IDEAL/free
standing windows modes of operation. I am experimenting (in a separate cvs
checkout) with adding support for this to Kdenlive. If this works, I will
commit it to a separate KDE_3_2 branch so that the default version of
kdenlive still targets KDE 3.0

From looking at KMdi, it is derived from classes that are KPart-aware. Now,
this is a direction I am thinking of Kdenlive in. Here are some of the
(currently half-baked) ideas of what would be possible.

* Embedding a monitor into konqueror or other applications.
* Embedding non-kdenlive kparts into kdenlive as extra windows. For example,
with KDE 3.2 there are new possibilities for scripting applications; we could
embed a generic script editor into kdenlive.
* Features that do not necesserily fit into the client/server Kdenlive
structure can be added as kparts, so that they run within kdenlive but can be
developed separately.

So one possibility would be to develop the dvdauthor frontend as a separate
kpart and integrate it into kdenlive that way; this would allow the front end
to be used separately as well.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Jason