[Kdenlive-devel] Usability test (by me!)

Reinhard Amersberger protux at web.de
Sat Aug 23 11:12:26 UTC 2003

kdenlive-devel at lists.sourceforge.net schrieb am 22.08.03 06:44:04:
> Basically, I want to look at what functionality we should look to include in
> Kdenlive/paive 0.3.0 and beyond, but most importantly, which functionality
> needs to be implemented first ;-)
>
> I know that some of the points I have mentioned here are already being worked
> on or are finished in Piave 0.3.0 (such as avi file support?), but there are
> others that need work on both Kdnelive and piave (separate sound & video)
>
> Right, I'll switch back to the developers hat. Please feel free to comment!

Okay, so here I will discribe my procedure of  editing movies:

1. Import clips:
here I would like to trim the clip(s) just inside the import dialog to finally import them into the project manager and/or directly to the timeline. So the clip preview should work ;-)

2. Go on adding more clips to the timeline and trim the clips on the timeline more exactly, if needed:
I think it is not necessary to say that I like to do this nearly without using the mouse ;-))

3. Adding some video/audio transitions.

4. Trim video and audio independantly; so the interview partner is hearable, but the video cut is  a little bit later on.

5. Create Picture-In-Picture:
So it is needed to re-size a clip and position this clip individual above the other video content.
Also a crop effect is helpful in this concern.

6. Adding text ...  hopefully directly to the PIP:
This is a feature I want to have, but haven't find it yet, because every NLE I used just add the title in a separate track only :-(
So when my PIP is moving from left to right, for example, I need to copy the parameters of the PIP movement and paste them onto this title added to the PIP, to sync the movement of the PIP and the added title.
But this steps wouldn't be required, if it would be possible to add the title directly onto a clip, just like adding an effect.

7. Add background music:
Here it is important to adjust the audio levels of the different audio clips used in the project.
So rubberbands would be very helpful here.

8. Color correction:
to eliminate color changings during a scene; sometimes caused by dv cameras auto white functionallity.

9. And finally, especially for professional purpose (but not only ;-), creating a voice over.

greetings
Reinhard