[Kdenlive-devel] Usability test (by me!)

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Sat Aug 23 09:40:03 UTC 2003

On Saturday 23 August 2003 09:00 am, Jason Wood wrote:
> Ok, that's good, so the only thing missing is the support from Kdenlive.
> That is kind-of in place - there are audio tracks that are currently not
> used, but could be brought back, and then the VEML will need to be updated
> to handle video and audio seperately.

that is probably straight forward.

> > ok. trivial, that can be done. the main problem is probably to invent
> > VEML to do it.
>
> I suppose it depends on if it is done as a special case, or as a piave
> effect - in which case it is rather that we need the effect framework in
> place.

I would think of it as an effect. DV can handle 4 audio tracks, where usually
only two are used (stereo). mpeg can probably handle many tracks as well.
swapping, mixing, and adjusting of volume per audio channels should be
possible.

> This is one thing that I have very little idea as to how to implement. It
> comes down to ownership - whose job is it to generate the sound waveforms?
> It's a slightly odd task to as Piave to do, however for Kdenlive to do it,
> it needs to have the raw audio which only piave has.

Right, but I think it's not too difficult. think of it as of the small
frame-snap-shots we are going to put into the timeline. kdenlive will tell
piave, that it want's to have a snap-shot, and piave will send it via a
socket. Same for audio. piave will decode mp3/ogg/etc. and send a low
resolution snapshot of the WAV audio over the socket.

> Oh, ok, we need to do something so we can test the rendering speed of piave
> then :-)

sweet jesus. From the beginning I was dreaming of having all/some effects
optimized for each architechture. For the central algorihms (colorspace
transforms etc) I have infrastructure in place to handle this, but the only
existing implementation is plain C. And probably the slowes you can think of
;-(

Cheers,
Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/