[Kdenlive-devel] Reinhard will be happy...

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 07:31:12 UTC 2003

On Monday 18 Aug 2003 2:05 pm, Reinhard Amersberger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm back from vacation and checked out the shortcut dialog and you are
> right .... Reinhard "IS" very happy with it!! ;-)) Cool!! :-)
>
> Just a question ... is it planned to activate the different sections of
> Kdenlive (timeline, clip monitor, Projekt list, effect list, ...) via
> shortcuts?

Probably - there is the whole issue of keyboard focus that needs to be sorted
out first though - basically, if you click a window at the moment, that
doesn't guarantee that the keypresses go to that window. The most obvious
example of this is pressing the "delete" key on a clip selected in the
project list. Intuitively, it should delete the clip from the project list,
whilst what actually happens is that it deletes the selected clips in the
timeline.

> So, in combination with a special mode (assemble), maybe this
> could offer an fast way to create rough video cuts ...
>
> What I mean is:
> Choose a clip to be displayed in the clip monitor, set in and out points,
> hit a key (to define in shortcut dialog ;-) to add this area to the
> timeline behind the last active/inserted/assembled clip ... and so on. If
> this (assemble) mode is de-activated the selected area could be
> inserted/positioned into a new track on the right side of the timeslider

There would be no need to for an extra assemble mode - but what is missing and
would be needed is the idea of a keyboard cursor in the timeline - I believe
we talked about something similar a couple of months ago. Then, in the
timeline you would be able to position via the keyboard where the next clip
should go - with it automatically moving to the end of a clip that has just
been added.

So it's possible, stick it on the wishlist on the sourceforge project page so
I don't forget ;-)

> Also some functionallities to move the timeslider could be helpful in this
> concern, for example: - goto In/Out point
> - goto next/previous edge/edit

Yes, I agree.

> And last not least something like a "fast preview" could be helpful too:
> I mean, position the timeslider somewhere on the timeline, activate this
> "fast preview" to show some seconds before this point and some seconds
> after this point in time (pre-roll/post-roll) to control the change between
> two clips for example. Maybe in loop-mode too?? ;-)

I see what you mean.

Yes, more preview options are needed. I think the big one missing is "play
from in point to outpoint and then stop/loop.

Cheers,
Jason