[Kdenlive-devel] Reinhard will be happy...

Reinhard Amersberger protux at web.de
Thu Aug 21 10:36:05 UTC 2003

kdenlive-devel at lists.sourceforge.net schrieb am 20.08.03 05:56:58:

> On Monday 18 Aug 2003 2:05 pm, Reinhard Amersberger wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm back from vacation and checked out the shortcut dialog and you are
> > right .... Reinhard "IS" very happy with it!! ;-)) Cool!! :-)
> >
> > Just a question ... is it planned to activate the different sections of
> > Kdenlive (timeline, clip monitor, Projekt list, effect list, ...) via
> > shortcuts?
>
> Probably - there is the whole issue of keyboard focus that needs to be sorted
> out first though - basically, if you click a window at the moment, that
> doesn't guarantee that the keypresses go to that window. The most obvious
> example of this is pressing the "delete" key on a clip selected in the
> project list. Intuitively, it should delete the clip from the project list,
> whilst what actually happens is that it deletes the selected clips in the
> timeline.

Yes, I think it is very important that the performed action has an effect depending of the actual activated window only ... so I think you have enough to do to solve this "fraudulent" behaviour ;-)

> > So, in combination with a special mode (assemble), maybe this
> > could offer an fast way to create rough video cuts ...
> >
> > What I mean is:
> > Choose a clip to be displayed in the clip monitor, set in and out points,
> > hit a key (to define in shortcut dialog ;-) to add this area to the
> > timeline behind the last active/inserted/assembled clip ... and so on. If
> > this (assemble) mode is de-activated the selected area could be
> > inserted/positioned into a new track on the right side of the timeslider
>
> There would be no need to for an extra assemble mode - but what is missing and
> would be needed is the idea of a keyboard cursor in the timeline - I believe
> we talked about something similar a couple of months ago. Then, in the

Yes, I can remember vaguely ...

> timeline you would be able to position via the keyboard where the next clip
> should go - with it automatically moving to the end of a clip that has just
> been added.
>
> So it's possible, stick it on the wishlist on the sourceforge project page so
> I don't forget ;-)

Hhhmmm ... yes, I can do this, but ... is there really a need for this keyboard cursor?

Because I think you would need to have another viewer window that show the frame at the actual keyboard cursors position ...
Also you would need to have specific shortcuts to move the keyboard cursor around ...

But what about the things that are already there? I mean the In points, Out points and the time slider of the timeline.

I think maybe you just need to offer a way to specify one (or some) active track(s) and the kind of how to insert the source?!?

Just some examples:
Assuming having in/out points in source viewer and timeline and source viewer is activated.

Press number key "4" to do a 4-point-edit.
this means: the marked source area, by in/out point, will be fitted between in/out point of timeline.

Press number key "3" to do a 3-point-edit.
this means: the source will be inserted from in point to out point of timeline beginning at in point of source viewer.

Press number key "2" to add the source at the right side of the time slider and automatically move the time slider to the end of the added source clip.

Press number key "1" to add the source at the right side of the time slider without moving the time slider to the end of the added source clip.

So this way you possibly be able to offer ALL edit modes I can imagine right now.

And if the user do this actions by drag and drop something to the timeline ..... an dialog could pop-up to let the user choose the needed insertion method, if the situation is not clear.

Okay, I know there are lots of questions/problems left (what if source material is shorter than time between in/out point in 3-point-editing??? what if marked source area is longer or shorter in 4-point-edit??? should an dialog be opened to let the user choose the mode in unclear situations??? how to move In/Out points by keyboard shortcuts??? ........), but this is again JUST ANOTHER IDEA ;-)

greetings
Reinhard