[Kdenlive-devel] GUI stuff, Mustux (Protux)

Reinhard Amersberger protux at web.de
Tue Nov 5 13:43:29 UTC 2002

kdenlive-devel at lists.sourceforge.net schrieb am 05.11.02 13:37:16:

> A totally agree, I also don't like the gimp way with many windows floating
> around and constantly hiding each other.
> I think the way Jason is going is very nice. kdenlive is basically a single
> big window, where all components are arranging themselves automagically. I
> guess Qt/KDE even allows you to put Handles to widgets, so that you can e.g.
> drag the video widget to the left or right and it will be reswalloed in the
> right place, or even be a free window if you like. I mean like you can do
> with the menubar in every KDE app.
> Other dialogs which are only of temporary interest will probably just pop up
> for a while, like e.g. the filemanager.
> Just to make sure I understand, do you have a problem with the way it is
> working now?

I'm not sure, because I cannot compile kdenlive at the moment :-(
Some errors occured during make process like 'kmmrulerbar...blabla.. cannot find ... blabla ...
(Sorry, I can't give exact information, because actually I'm at work.)
Maybe I need (resp. my machine ;-) need an additional package?

BTW:
I can't find the requirements needed to compile kdenlive at the homepage.
Maybe I should search the cvs repository to find more info on that? ;-)

> > Also this could be similar to 'MoviePack and Extreme' , because they had an
> > additional window called 'Timegraph' which is showing the applied effect of
> > the selected clip, ALL effect-parameters, user can adapt the 'Keyframes'
> > very exactly and user can toggle between 'Timeline' and 'Timegraph' mode by
> > shortcut very quick and easy .
>
> Sounds good. I wish I had a few more of those nifty M$ Windoze apps. I just
> have MGI VideoWave (which is the crap that came with my Sony camcorder, urgh)
> and MovieDVPerfect (which came with my FireWire PCI-card). That is actually
> not too bad. I just can't afford Premiere ;-(

You can search the web for 'MovieXone 4.0'.
This is the free limited version of 'MoviePack'.
The skin is VERY deterring, but you can check out the functionallity.

> > The MoviePack procedure is for example:
> >
> > 1. Select a clip.
> >
> > 2. Now the applied affects are shown in the effect-window.
> >
> > 3. Select an effect in the effect-window, by activating the appropriate
> > button (on top of this window all effects are symbolized as buttons and the
> > values/parameters are listed below).
> >
> > 4. And finally user can adapt the keyframes in Timegraph mode (KeyLine? ;-)
> > (On top you see the clip and below all effect parameter.)
>
> Sounds similar to MovieDVPerfect. Probably this is the canonical way to do
> things.

Yes, I think this is the state of affairs.

> > Apropos shortcuts - I suggested you to have a look at the Mustux project
> > ... http://www.nongnu.org/mustux/
> >
> > I don't know if it is profitable for your project, but you will obtain a
> > shortcut-engine and later on a lot of audio filters for free! And shortcuts
> > are very important especially for professional users ... IMHO.
> >
> > You can check out the Mustux functionallities by trying Protux :
> > http://www.nongnu.org/protux/
>
> Hmm.. I don't quite get it
>
> |  NOTE: The notation is ^C[WR]:LR (point to a clip, hold W and R, and
> |  move the mouse Left and Right)
>
> Does that mean it is like mouse gestures in opera/mozilla with additional
> keys?

Hmm ... haven't used that.
But for Protux you have to point to anything, hold one or two keys [WR] and the other hand move the mouse to left, right, up or down to change values or positions ... in the example above a Clip.

But the best way is to install Mustux/Protux on your machine :-)

There is also a simple tutorial at the Protux page describing more details.

greetings
Reinhard