[Kdenlive-devel] piave

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Nov 4 14:03:04 UTC 2002

On Monday 04 Nov 2002 10:47 am, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> On Monday 04 November 2002 02:23 am, Jason Wood wrote:
> > The editor will be capable of sub-frame editing. If the cutter requires
> > that all times should fall on frame boundaries, then it should specify it
> > in the (still to be defined) cutter abilities request (point 3 below).
>
> At this point it surely does. I don't even bother with seconds. The
> internal class Time is nothing but an int, i.e. a framenumber. What do you
> mean by "sub-frame editing".

Essentially, I mean that the timeline will not enforce that files start/end on
frame boundaries unless it has to :-) It will normally snap to frames when it
knows the output of the final video, however.

The problem with enforcing frame boundaries comes if you decide to transform
your project to output at a different frame rate than you originally designed
it for, or if we reach a stage where we can use input files which all have
different frame rates. You end up with frames not lying on frame boundaries,
and you have to decide what to do with them.

So to get around all of the complexities of various frame rates, Kdenlive
essentially works in seconds and fractions of seconds, and converts to frames
as and when it needs to. It does not enforce a particular framerate unless
you ask it to.

Hope that makes sense!

Cheers,
Jason