[Kdenlive-devel] piave

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Nov 4 01:23:35 UTC 2002

On Sunday 03 Nov 2002 5:37 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> > Actually, if anyone can find me some half-decent icons to use, that would
> > be even better.
>
> How about some simple squares and triangles?

Even better, I just looked and found out that there are some half-decent
*standard* icons included with KDE. Really shows how much effort I've put
into the edit panel so far really :-)

Ok, I'll add in support for the icons in the next couple of days, as soon as
I've tracked down the crash-on-exit bug in Kdenlive.

> > 1. A way to ask the cutter to tell us a little info about the files
> > (duration being the only important one at the moment)
>
> number of frames and frames per second.

Hmm... fair enough, though from the GUI's point of view, the format does not
matter.

The class GenTime in Kdenlive is a generic time class to allow you to perform
operations on time without worrying about converting between various formats.
E.g. you could add  65 frames at 20 frames per second to 3.612 seconds, and
then find out how many frames that would be at 30 frames per second. (in this
example 205.86 frames).

The editor will be capable of sub-frame editing. If the cutter requires that
all times should fall on frame boundaries, then it should specify it in the
(still to be defined) cutter abilities request (point 3 below).

> > 2. The bare-bones of the cutting-list specification, enough to specify
> > seperate scenes with duration and input files.
> > 3. A way to ask the cutter for it's abilities (not as important, but we
> > should start looking at it, I think.)
>
> This will be complicated. I hope I can infiltrate you a little with the way
> I use "Operator"s and "PropertyPath"s. ;-)

I think I could make an educated guess at PropertyPaths, but I'll let you
explain what you mean by those terms first ;-)

> > Do you have a sourceforge devleoper name? I can add you as a developer so
> > that you can commit your changes to Kdenlive if you like.
>
> Yes, that would be great. My sourceforge account is "silversun". Don't
> expect too much though ;-) I just made a few slots and connected them to
> buttons ;-)

Well, unless I've just added some total stranger, you should now have
developer access.

> > Also, if you would like to either upload Piave onto the web somewhere,
> > either in the kdenlive project as a seperate module (like nullcutter
> > was), or in it's own CVS tree somewhere so that we can all look at it,
> > that would be very nice :-)
>
> Yes, I certainly want to do that. The reason I didn't do it already is,
> that I have to talk to my friend Mark how to do it. When we started, we
> wanted to seperate GUI and render engine logically, but we didn't really
> think of two seperate processes, mor seperate treads in a single project. I
> think I will make a seperate subdir in modesto (our project's name) analog
> to nullcutter in kdenlive. If he disagrees, then I will just register a
> seperate project.

Either way, I don't mind so long as you keep me informed as to where it ends
up!

Cheers,
Jason

--