[Kdenlive-devel] piave

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Sun Nov 3 17:37:57 UTC 2002

On Sunday 03 November 2002 06:13 pm, jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
> > as announced yesterday, I have played a little with QtDesigner and added
>
> I have a reply to your previous email waiting in my outbox to be sent, but
> I am in the middle of upgrading to a development build of KDE to do some
> bug fixing, and I can't open KMail to send it at the moment :-) Expect it
> in a couple of hours, after I have finished downloading > 200Meg over a 56k
> modem.
>
> In the meantime, I'm using a crappy web interface and it has taken me over
> half an hour to send this mail. Grrr...

;-)

> > 'next frame' and 'prev frame' button, just to see how it is working.
> > play, stop, and rewind work, too. What is the 'start' button supposed to
> > mean?
>
> It is supposed to mean "Go back to the start of the file/go back to the
> first frame of the render". Perhaps "To start" would be a better phrase.

Oh! Ah.. I thought thats what rewind was supposed t mean, then rewind means
'play backwards'. I see. Doesn't really matter anyway. ;-)

> Actually, if anyone can find me some half-decent icons to use, that would
> be even better.

How about some simple squares and triangles?

> I think this is a very good idea. The timeline is capable of moving entire
> files around at the moment; chopping them up and resizing should not take
> too long to implement.

Great.

> From the interface then, what we need is :
>
> 1. A way to ask the cutter to tell us a little info about the files
> (duration being the only important one at the moment)

number of frames and frames per second.

> 2. The bare-bones of the cutting-list specification, enough to specify
> seperate scenes with duration and input files.
> 3. A way to ask the cutter for it's abilities (not as important, but we
> should start looking at it, I think.)

This will be complicated. I hope I can infiltrate you a little with the way I
use "Operator"s and "PropertyPath"s. ;-)

> Do you have a sourceforge devleoper name? I can add you as a developer so
> that you can commit your changes to Kdenlive if you like.

Yes, that would be great. My sourceforge account is "silversun". Don't expect
too much though ;-) I just made a few slots and connected them to buttons ;-)

> Also, if you would like to either upload Piave onto the web somewhere,
> either in the kdenlive project as a seperate module (like nullcutter was),
> or in it's own CVS tree somewhere so that we can all look at it, that would
> be very nice :-)

Yes, I certainly want to do that. The reason I didn't do it already is, that I
have to talk to my friend Mark how to do it. When we started, we wanted to
seperate GUI and render engine logically, but we didn't really think of two
seperate processes, mor seperate treads in a single project. I think I will
make a seperate subdir in modesto (our project's name) analog to nullcutter
in kdenlive. If he disagrees, then I will just register a seperate project.

Cheers,
Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/