[Kdenlive-devel] piave

jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Nov 3 17:13:32 UTC 2002

> as announced yesterday, I have played a little with QtDesigner and added a

I have a reply to your previous email waiting in my outbox to be sent, but
I am in the middle of upgrading to a development build of KDE to do some
bug fixing, and I can't open KMail to send it at the moment :-) Expect it in
a couple of hours, after I have finished downloading > 200Meg over a 56k
modem.

In the meantime, I'm using a crappy web interface and it has taken me over
half an hour to send this mail. Grrr...

> 'next frame' and 'prev frame' button, just to see how it is working. play,
> stop, and rewind work, too. What is the 'start' button supposed to mean?

It is supposed to mean "Go back to the start of the file/go back to the first
frame of the render". Perhaps "To start" would be a better phrase. Actually, if
anyone can find me some half-decent icons to use, that would be even better.

> I guess you could make the slider in the timeline work too with a few lines.

Yes, it should not be much effort to tie the slider to stay in step with the one in
the preview window - a case of connecting some signals to some slots :-)

>  If we could agree on a format to transmit a list of filenames we could
> even really add files together. To get to the stage where "kino" is now, we
> would need to make a first real implementation of the communication language.
> If we lat transitions aside, it will be rather easy to get to the stage where
> kino is now, i.e. load files, cut them to pieces, arrange the peaces without
> transitions, write out the hole thing into a file. At the moment I can only
> use raw DV files. That will change when I add GStreamer support.

I think this is a very good idea. The timeline is capable of moving entire files
around at the moment; chopping them up and resizing should not take too
long to implement.

>From the interface then, what we need is :

1. A way to ask the cutter to tell us a little info about the files (duration
being the only important one at the moment)
2. The bare-bones of the cutting-list specification, enough to specify seperate
scenes with duration and input files.
3. A way to ask the cutter for it's abilities (not as important, but we should start
looking at it, I think.)

> After that we could start the real work ;-)

Do you have a sourceforge devleoper name? I can add you as a developer so that
you can commit your changes to Kdenlive if you like.

Also, if you would like to either upload Piave onto the web somewhere, either in the
kdenlive project as a seperate module (like nullcutter was), or in it's own CVS tree
somewhere so that we can all look at it, that would be very nice :-)

Cheers,
Jason