[Kdenlive-devel] kdenlive

Christian Berger einStein at donau.de
Sat May 4 14:39:07 UTC 2002

Jason Wood schrieb:

> On Saturday 04 May 2002 1:40 pm, Christian Berger wrote:
> > >

> > > To be honest, the last several formats that we've been throwing around
> > > now are basically the same idea, with different amounts of syntactical
> > > sugar thrown on top. I'd pick the one that looks easiest to parse, so
> > > that you can concentrate on the main task of actually cutting files
> > > together, rather than trying to figure out what your supposed to be
> > > cutting ;-)
> >
> > Well the right format is extremely important. I'd go with my last
> > suggestion. Splitting the cutting into "sceenes" might be the best idea.
> > The problem is I still have to learn quite a lot of C, I'm not really
> > fammiliar with it.
>
> I was talking not so much about things like scene tags/commands, rather things
> like making sure that the actual syntax is easy to parse - remember that this
> file will be written by another computer program 90% of the time (and the
> other 10% will be debuging :-) so there's no need for adding any special
> syntax just to make the file easier to read and write for humans. Saying
> that, I think comments would probably be worth adding, and if we strictly
> define that each line contains a seperate command, everything becomes a lot
> simpler to parse.

Actually such scene tags/commands are essential. A scene means a special
setup of effects and inputs. If you want to break the structure of your
effects (your effect "tree") you have to start a new scene. It's the
only way of doing something like that which comes to my mind and still
stay sane. So "scenes" are essential, but adding an identifier is purely
for debugging (as well as nice progress indication). Inside a scene
nothing changes, all used streams will advance by the same amount of
time. (we might want to specify what streams are used in this scene)
Scenes are monolithic blocks, which don't need anything from other
blocks. So we could render several scenes in parallel and use another
project to stitch the results together.

Servus
  Casandro