[Kdenlive-devel] update

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Sun Dec 22 12:04:52 UTC 2002

On Sunday 22 December 2002 12:35 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> On Sunday 22 Dec 2002 10:45 am, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> > On Saturday 21 December 2002 12:37 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> I would be interested in hepling to get mjpeg read/write working, since
> that is one of the few high-quality movie formats that blender can output
> files to, and I've been doing some 3D animation recently :-) Either that,
> or reading directly from .jpg, .png, etc...

That's great. Reading single pictures should be easy. I hacked the image
overlay Effect once to read a new picture every frame, but it was just a
hack.

Understanding/using ffmpeg is non trivial. Using it to encode and write files
is not too dificult (not too esay too :), but reading arbitrary
size/format/fps etc. videos requires also somework on piave core.

> Ok, here are some quick notes about commands :
>
> <play speed="nnn">
>
> At the moment, you will only recieve "1.0" (for play) and "0.0" (for
> stop/pause). If it's easy to implement varying speeds of playback, then
> great, go for it! But for Kdenlive at the moment, it is not essential.

ok.

> </ping id="x"> (</pong id="x">)
>
> I don't think you will recieve this at the moment, it's just a "nice to
> have" feature.

ok.

> I took a look at what needs to be done to add effects/transitions, and
> there are at least 10 thngs that need to be completed for the complete
> effect system; I'm going to guess it will take a month or two to implement
> everything that needs to be implemented, so go for the long term solution.

;-)

> (and here is the list, both Kdenlive and Piave things are included) :
>
> * Piave can transmit transition descriptions via VEML
> * Kdenlive can read transition descriptions from VEML
> * Kdenlive has document level suppport for keyframes and transitions
> * Kdenlive has Transition Dialog
> * Kdenlive can Save/Load  keyframes and transitions
> * Kdenlive has GUI support for keyframes and transitions

This reminds me of something...  At present, I handle keyframes in a way, that
_all_ properties of an effect have the same keyframes. I mean, when you
concider a certain effect, it might have multiple properties, e.g. text size
and text color. A keyframe will have key-values for _each_ property.  A
different solution would be to have seperate keyframes for each property, so
that you could define e.g. two keyframes for the textsize, but many keyframes
for the textcolor. You know what I mean? From the piave point of view, it
doesn't make much difference (only that the first option is already
implemented), but for the visualization, it will make a big differece. What
is the way you want to go?

> * Kdenlive can generate scenelist with keyframe data.
> * Kdenlive can transmit Scenelist via VEML
> * Piave can recieve Scenelist via VEML
> * Piave can read transition and Keyframe information from scenelist
> * Piave can interpret transition data into internal memory format
> * Piave can render transitions.

> I'll go into a bit more detail once I am ready to start work on them. I am
> implementing the razor and spacer tools at the moment :-)

Yes, great, that has much higher priority than transitions.

Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/