[Kdenlive-devel] update

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Dec 22 11:35:43 UTC 2002

On Sunday 22 Dec 2002 10:45 am, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> On Saturday 21 December 2002 12:37 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> > > Because I think most distributions still using qt 3.0.x ... tell me if
> > > I'm wrong!
> >
> > Good point.
>
> Yes, I would also like to see this working with my brand new RH8.0, which
> only features 3.0.5.
>
> ... compiling ... oh.. ah.. everything builds/runs even on RH7.2,
> ... great. ;-)

Great :-)

> done:
>  write raw DV:    finished
>  write mpeg1:     experimental (optional at ./configure --with-ffmpeg)
>                   I need help with ffmpeg to support all kinds of
>                   format. This is _not_ "if one works, all work".

I would be interested in hepling to get mjpeg read/write working, since that
is one of the few high-quality movie formats that blender can output files
to, and I've been doing some 3D animation recently :-) Either that, or
reading directly from .jpg, .png, etc...

>  sound:           OSS, anybody knows how to use aRts?

I have had a play with aRts, but didn't get much useful done due to bugs in my
sound card driver that would never be fixed (it was an Aureal Vortex)

> todo:
>  play:            will play video as fast as possible
>                     -> slow down when too fast
>                     -> reduce quality when too slow
>  commun:          update to lates VEML in last kdenlive version

Ok, here are some quick notes about commands :

<play speed="nnn">

At the moment, you will only recieve "1.0" (for play) and "0.0" (for
stop/pause). If it's easy to implement varying speeds of playback, then
great, go for it! But for Kdenlive at the moment, it is not essential.

</ping id="x"> (</pong id="x">)

I don't think you will recieve this at the moment, it's just a "nice to have"
feature.

> Since I use YUV colorspace to display the video, all effects are basically
> broken because they work in RGB space. (You can of cource force PIAVE to
> use RGB space, but then wou'll have sluggish playback)
>
> There are two options:
> a) short term fix:   use RGB when effects are applied, use YUV otherwise
>                      this needs a little work on the display and other
> details b) long term fix:    reimplement all effects in YUV space
>                      YUV images are smaller and thus will render effects
>                      faster. This will take a lot of work, but is the way
> to go. (Only text overlay will not gain much)
>
> If kdenlive will feature effects soon, I would go for option a) then slowly
> move to b).   If we won't get effects soon anyway, I would skip a) and
> start directly with b).   Are there any opinions?

I took a look at what needs to be done to add effects/transitions, and there
are at least 10 thngs that need to be completed for the complete effect
system; I'm going to guess it will take a month or two to implement
everything that needs to be implemented, so go for the long term solution.

(and here is the list, both Kdenlive and Piave things are included) :

* Piave can transmit transition descriptions via VEML
* Kdenlive can read transition descriptions from VEML
* Kdenlive has document level suppport for keyframes and transitions
* Kdenlive has Transition Dialog
* Kdenlive can Save/Load  keyframes and transitions
* Kdenlive has GUI support for keyframes and transitions
* Kdenlive can generate scenelist with keyframe data.
* Kdenlive can transmit Scenelist via VEML
* Piave can recieve Scenelist via VEML
* Piave can read transition and Keyframe information from scenelist
* Piave can interpret transition data into internal memory format
* Piave can render transitions.

I'll go into a bit more detail once I am ready to start work on them. I am
implementing the razor and spacer tools at the moment :-)

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood