[Kdenlive-devel] ping

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Dec 3 15:34:26 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 03 Dec 2002 8:22 am, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> ;-)  On the kino-devel list they are just discussing how to get the
> thumbnails from the cilps in the timeline. They seem to haveproblems doing
> that in reasonable speed... I am curious how the pipes work. I hope it's
> fast enough.

I suppose this is a case of "define fast enough". As long as the GUI doesn't
screech to a halt for half a second as soon as you add a clip to the
timeline, or scroll about, then I am not too worried about the speed at which
the pictures get sent.

Obviously faster is better though :-)

> I don't really need batch rendering and I don't see it as a
> primary goal, but if it would work, it would be pretty cool ;-)  But also,
> linking piave direktly into kdenlive does _not_ mean we give up batch
> rendering, only for the interactive part we would use it directly. Anyway,
> I agree with you tha we should lead this discussion when we really tried
> XML->loopback.

I don't need batch rendering at the moment myself ;-) but I can forsee that I
would like to have the hardware to do it at some point in the future, and I
also forsee that if the design isn't there to accomodate it now, it will be a
huge task to implement it properly later.

On a similar note, there is one *HUGE* design flaw in Kdenlive that I have to
fix sooner rather than later - no undo/redo support. I don't want to end up
in the same situation as blender, where it becomes so large a task to add
that nobody takes up the challenge ;-)

Cheers,
Jason

--