Can't connect my cell phone to my computer using USB

Piyush Aggarwal piyushaggarwal002 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 02:36:58 GMT 2019

Hi Jon!

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019, 4:17 AM Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net> wrote:

> I have not been able to connect my Android cell phone to Fedora Linux.
>
> I can access the device from the Dolphin browser: when I connect the phone
> using USB, a message appears on the device notifier informing me
> LGE Android Phone
> Open with File Manager
> Open with File Manager
> Download Photos with Gwenview
> "Open with File Manager" causes a message to appear on the phone
> USB Connection
> Allow this computer to access your phone data
> CANCEL ALLOW
> When I tap allow, an instance of the Dolphin browser appears headed by
> mtp: > VS985 4G > Internal Storage
> <below this is the contents of this folder>
> The folder contains lots of sub-folders but does not appear to be part of
> my computer's file system.
>
> So ... The phone's memory is accessible from Linux.
>
> However, when I start KDE Connect on the phone, it reports:
> It looks like you are on a mobile data connection

It looks like you're not connected to a WiFi network on your mobile phone.
KDE Connect needs your devices on a common local network (for eg: your PC
and phone connected to the same router in your house) to work.

> KDE Connect works only on local networks
> My attempts to get a connection by going to the Custom device list and
> adding candidate names for the computer like
> localhost
> 192.168.1.65
> have not been successful.
>
> Here is the system info:
> Fedora Linux version: 29
> KDE Framework version: 5.55.0
> KDE Connect version: 1.3.1-1
> Phone name: VS985 4G LTE (LG Android)
>
> How can I connect the phone to the computer?

You should try again, first checking that both your devices are connected
to the same local network ( for eg: router)
Best regards
Piyush Aggarwal
https://Piyush.tech