Can't connect my cell phone to my computer using USB

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Tue Mar 26 22:47:25 GMT 2019

I have not been able to connect my Android cell phone to Fedora Linux.

I can access the device from the Dolphin browser: when I connect the
phone using USB, a message appears on the device notifier informing me
LGE Android Phone
Open with File Manager
Open with File Manager
Download Photos with Gwenview
"Open with File Manager" causes a message to appear on the phone
USB Connection
Allow this computer to access your phone data
			CANCEL		ALLOW
When I tap allow, an instance of the Dolphin browser appears headed by
mtp: > VS985 4G > Internal Storage
<below this is the contents of this folder>
The folder contains lots of sub-folders but does not appear to be part
of my computer's file system.

So ... The phone's memory is accessible from Linux.

However, when I start KDE Connect on the phone, it reports:
It looks like you are on a mobile data connection
KDE Connect works only on local networks
My attempts to get a connection by going to the Custom device  list and
adding candidate names for the computer like
localhost
192.168.1.65
have not been successful.

Here is the system info:
Fedora Linux version: 29
KDE Framework version: 5.55.0
KDE Connect version: 1.3.1-1
Phone name: VS985 4G LTE  (LG Android)

How can I connect the phone to the computer?

Thanks - jon