Can't connect my cell phone to my computer using USB

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 27 06:48:11 GMT 2019

On Wed, 2019-03-27 at 08:06 +0530, Piyush Aggarwal wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2019, 4:17 AM Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net>
> wrote:
> > I have not been able to connect my Android cell phone to Fedora
> > Linux.
> >
> > I can access the device from the Dolphin browser: when I connect
> > the phone using USB, a message appears on the device notifier
> > informing me
> > LGE Android Phone
> > Open with File Manager
> > Open with File Manager
> > Download Photos with Gwenview
> > "Open with File Manager" causes a message to appear on the phone
> > USB Connection
> > Allow this computer to access your phone data
> > 			CANCEL		ALLOW
> > When I tap allow, an instance of the Dolphin browser appears headed
> > by
> > mtp: > VS985 4G > Internal Storage
> > <below this is the contents of this folder>
> > The folder contains lots of sub-folders but does not appear to be
> > part of my computer's file system.
> >
> > So ... The phone's memory is accessible from Linux.
> >
> > However, when I start KDE Connect on the phone, it reports:
> > It looks like you are on a mobile data connection
>
> It looks like you're not connected to a WiFi network on your mobile
> phone. KDE Connect needs your devices on a common local network (for
> eg: your PC and phone connected to the same router in your house) to
> work.
> > KDE Connect works only on local networksMy attempts to get a
> > connection by going to the Custom device  list and adding candidate
> > names for the computer likelocalhost
> > 192.168.1.65have not been successful.
> > Here is the system info:Fedora Linux version: 29
> > KDE Framework version: 5.55.0
> > KDE Connect version: 1.3.1-1
> > Phone name: VS985 4G LTE  (LG Android)
> > How can I connect the phone to the computer?
>
> You should try again, first checking that both your devices are
> connected to the same local network ( for eg: router)
> Best regards
> Piyush Aggarwal
> https://Piyush.tech

The phone is not connected to a router but directly to the computer via
one of the computer's USB ports.  I have no idea how to connect the
phone to anything else using a USB link.  Sorry not to make this clear.

The (very small) topology of the network is shown in the following
diagram: Gateway contains the name server; Trend provides wireless
services (the "hot spot"); the dashed line shows the wireless
connection between the cell phone and the Gateway; the solid line shows
the USB connection between the phone and Amito, the computer in
question.  Gateway, the nameserver is aware of Amito but not of the
cell phone; the cell phone is aware that it is on my home network.
I fear there may be a problem with a firewall built into Trend; I
suppose the firewall could be changed, but I'd rather not.  Is there
any way to make KDE-Connect work over a direct USB link?