Redesigning the Android app

Markus Slopianka kamikazow at gmx.de
Tue Mar 31 12:50:53 UTC 2015

On Monday 30 March 2015 22:10:26 Albert Vaca wrote:
> I like your ideas a lot. You made me want to start working on the new UI
> right away :D It's so bad I don't have any free time now (actually, it's 9
> PM and I'm still at work lol) :(

Nice to hear.

> There is one thing I disagree with you, though. I think that devices and
> plugins are very different things to have them together in the bar,
> specially because the plugins are like a subcategory of the device: every
> Device has its own plugins "inside".

Not exactly sure what you mean. Which other plugins would have to be accessed
from the Android app?
Sending files, clipboard sync, etc. are all done outside the app's GUI - either
via Android's system-wide share menu or silently in the background.

I used my personal workflow as inspiration and Heath Paddock's mockups indicate
that he apparently thinks the same that media player controls and
touchpad/keyboard are the two main use cases for interacting with the Android
app itself.

> Also, changing devices is not
> something that you do very often (and usually you only have one connected
> device at a time), so having to open a drop-down to change the current
> device seems like a better option to me.

Currently. I had Joerg's Qt-only work in mind with future versions also
(hopefully) running on Jolla's tablet and so on.
Personally I can imagine a "I want to control my PC, let me pause the music on
my tablet over there first" use case but maybe my mindset is too multi-device-
centristic. ;-)

> I imagine something similar to
> what the GMail app does when you have more than one email account and you
> want to switch between them.

No idea, sorry. I don't use GMail. I even deactivated the app.