Redesigning the Android app

Albert Vaca albertvaka at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 05:10:26 UTC 2015

I like your ideas a lot. You made me want to start working on the new UI
right away :D It's so bad I don't have any free time now (actually, it's 9
PM and I'm still at work lol) :(

There is one thing I disagree with you, though. I think that devices and
plugins are very different things to have them together in the bar,
specially because the plugins are like a subcategory of the device: every
Device has its own plugins "inside". Also, changing devices is not
something that you do very often (and usually you only have one connected
device at a time), so having to open a drop-down to change the current
device seems like a better option to me. I imagine something similar to
what the GMail app does when you have more than one email account and you
want to switch between them.

The idea of synchronizing the enabled plugins is something that would be
interesting but it's a bit difficult technically, because the plugins are
not "symmetrical": a plugin can listen to packages from more than one
plugin on the other end, and the other way around. It's worth seeing what
we can do though (and it's related to the "capabilities detection" feature
that Aleix wants to implement).

Sending files without pairing is an idea that has been in mind since the
day 0 of the project, but I never found time to implement it... and
sometimes I want to send a file to a friend who also uses KDE Connect and
we have to go through Bluetooth because we don't have this yet :(