KDE Connect integration

Albert Vaca albertvaka at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 18:23:20 UTC 2015

+kdeconnect mailing list

Hi Kai Uwe,

Sorry for not having a look at this until now.

The main reason to not integrate with Solid in the first place was because
kdelibs was frozen due to the transition to Frameworks 5. Also, not using
standard notifications was because limitations in KDE4's notification
system (and a personal dislike with it :P) that were going to be solved in
Plasma 5.

All this reasons should be obsolete now, and I think it would be awesome if
we can move the battery, notifications and file browser features from our
plasmoid to the Battery plasmoid, the Notifications plasmoid and the
Dolphin sidebar.

The original KDE Connect plasmoid was just a workaround for the said
limitations and still feels hackish to me. So, I would be happy to even
remove it (or at least, have it disabled by default), and have everything
integrated with the desktop.

Using standard notifications will even benefit the integration with other
desktops and make KDE Connect less Plasma-only, which is one of the project
goals for this year.

I've seen the CR with WIP changes to Solid (I saw that Alex already
reviewed it, but I still want to have a look at the code). I'm looking
forward for this project to move forward and I'm more than happy to make
the changes needed in the KDE Connect desktop client for
this integration to happen :D

Albert